Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Homosexuality: Two-Spirit People
21.01.2005 at 02:45:03

http://tperkins.com/spiritual/two_spirit_people.html

Homosexuality: Two-Spirit People

Gay, homosexual, lesbian, bisexual... these are all defining terms that all focus purely on sexuality. Yet, what makes these individuals special goes FAR beyond their sexual desires and deep into spirituality. They have a special purpose on this planet and were given special gifts. They were given the gift of "two spirits"...

Two Spirit People

"Traditionally, a person’s sexual orientation also brought gifts of vision and understanding. People who were two-spirited (i.e., homosexual) were considered to have a great gift of vision that went beyond most people’s abilities. Because of the nature of the two-spirited person, it was believed that they could understand and help solve problems that both women and men have individually or between each other. They possessed the ability to see an issue from both perceptions. Two-Spirited people were not only considered normal, but a vital and much needed part of the natural world and of the community as a whole."  We Are Part of a Tradition: A Guide on Two-Spirited People for First Nations Communities, Gilbert Deschamps, 2-Spirited People of the 1st Nations, Toronto, 1998, p. 36.

"All tribes were aware of the existence of two-spirit people, and each still has a name for them. The Dinéh (Navaho) refer to them as nàdleehé one who is ‘transformed’, the Lakota (Sioux) as winkte, the Mohave as alyha, the Zuni as lhamana, the Omaha as mexoga, the Aleut and Kodiak as achnucek, the Zapotec as ira’ muxe, the Cheyenne as he man eh."
Walter L. Williams, 1986 The Spirit and the Flesh, Beacon Press.

"...182 of the native tribes spread throughout the whole of North America recognized the Two-Spirit individual, and in at least 168 of their languages still spoken in the United States today the terms for Two-Spirit people continue to be found."
Paul Chirumbolo, twospiritnativepeople.html

“Multigendered adult people at Mescalero [Apache Tribe] are usually presumed to be people of power. Because they have both maleness and femaleness totally entwined in one body, they are known to be able to ‘see’ with the eyes of both proper men and proper women. They are often called upon to be healers, or mediators, or interpreters of dreams, or expected to become singers or others whose lives are devoted to the welfare of the group. If they do extraordinary things in any aspect of life, it is assumed that they have the license and power to do so and, therefore, they are not questioned.”
Claire R. Farrer, 1997 “A Mescalero Apache Singer of Ceremonies” in Two-Spirit People, Chicago, U. of Illinois.

"The gay person is looked at primarily as a "gatekeeper." The Earth is looked at, from my tribal perspective, as a very, very delicate machine or consciousness, with high vibrational points, which certain people must be guardians of in order for the tribe to keep its continuity with the gods and with the spirits that dwell there. Spirits of this world and spirits of the other worlds. Any person who is at this link between this world and the other world experiences a state of vibrational consciousness which is far higher, and far different, from the one that a normal person would experience. This is what makes a gay person gay."

"You just have to get near them, to feel that they don’t vibrate the same way. They are not of this world. They come from the Otherworld, and they were sent here to keep the gates open to the Otherworld..."

"Why is it that, everywhere else in the world, gay people are a blessing, and in the modern world they are a curse? It is self-evident. The modern world was built by Christianity. They have taken the gods out of the earth sent them to heaven, wherever that is. And everyone who aspires to the gods must then negotiate with Christianity."
MEN Magazine Interview: Malidoma Somé

Native American Spirit with Pipe

"In most Native American history, gay and lesbian individuals were considered holy and treated with the highest respect. They were the historians, the healers, and the people of empowerment. They possessed the delicate balance of male and female, and were "wakan" (wa-kan), the holy. For their tribes, they were the mediators between the spirit world and the natural world."
http://denvertwospirit.com/

"Those who have come in with a balanced male and female energy, those you call gay or homosexual, have done so much to change the overall balance on this planet of a very Old male energy. "

"We take this opportunity to ask you to love, and acknowledge, and appreciate those in your society who came into this lifetime with a contract to bring in both energies within one body. You call them "gay." Many times, too often, they are ridiculed. But they came in with a large contract to meld both energies in one body. At times this has caused them imbalance. At times this has caused them great inner difficulties."

you cant look in the mirror and expect it to smile first

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Re: Homosexuality: Two-Spirit People
Reply #1 - 21.01.2005 at 02:46:02

"You have gone through much conflict over these years about who you were. You have wondered about how much of a woman you were, or how much of a man you were. Now, it is time to be both. The ones who in your society have been called the gays and the lesbians have paved the way and opened the door, so that it is much more acceptable for you now to carry the meld of energy."
Tobias (http://www.crimsoncircle.com/)

"The Two-Spirit has traditionally been the 'social control agent' of any tribal nations people and in a historical perspective social problems and social illness were nonexistent. For example, during a tribal council meeting in the early-mid 1800's the men were all arguing and disagreements between certain men became heated to the point of dissension. The Two-Spirit human being was brought into this tribal council meeting circle and just the presence of the Two-Spirit human being the arguments and disagreements ceased and unity, balance, and harmony was prevalent and visible."

"It is prophesied that in the next coming generation that the majority of the people making up tribal nations will be the Two-Spirit human beings."
Samuel J. Martin, Jr. (http://denvertwospirit.com/)

"Indeed, the Two-Spirit individuals in many tribal cultures were often considered to be the most potent shamans. Like their Siberian counterparts, they were the greatest healers, prophets, and seers."

"Roused from the depths of their myths, visions and dreams, the social function of the Two-Spirit native people was thus to not only serve as a mediator between the sexes, but to walk in both worlds as a bridge between man and the powers that lay behind the veil of the otherwise ordinary life. They were keepers of the knowledge of the elders, and they demonstrated their facility with the sort of "magic" which finds its parallel in every race of every age. They assisted tribal members undergoing a life crisis and provided counsel and assistance through the transformative power of dreams. As clairvoyants, as hypnotists, or in their exercising of the ability to channel energy, such as with the laying on of hands, they were the healers and the teachers. Two-Spirit native people, like the western world's pagan witches, were the repositories of herbal wisdom, too, and, like the Pied Pipers of yet another land, they were the most gifted in taking care of children. And they were the artists, ever the artists, a calling which for most tribal people was rightly understood as dipping into a fountain from the wellspring of all of life."
Paul Chirumbolo, twospiritnativepeople.html

native communing with spirit in clouds
     Two Spirits...

Some native cultures described people who have some degree of homosexuality as "Two-Spirit People." People who have both the spirit of a male and female combined in one body. In these cultures the two-spirited person was very important and very honored. They are looked at as a messenger from Spirit, the wise ones, the seers of things unseen. Their gift of having two spirits allowed them to see, feel and understand things that others could not. They were healers, the medicine men/women, the keepers of wisdom and of spiritual understandings.

Many native cultures recognized that every person comes to earth with a mission and special gifts. Tribes would often perform ceremonies to discern what these gifts were so they could assist the child in uncovering their special talents and understand their purpose. Two-spirit people were very special to the tribe, they were the spiritual foundation and the center for health and survival of the tribe. Two-spirited children were trained in all aspects of the culture rather than just the male or female role. They were also taught the medicine ways and the ways of spirit. All the wisdom of the tribe was passed down to the two-spirit person. They were essential to the survival of their tribe and its culture.

Compare this to the "modern" view of homosexuality and you can see how superficial and limiting the current sex based viewpoint is. Yet, the ways of the spirit have not changed. Homosexuals still carry two spirits, still can sense, see and feel things that others cannot, still have access to spiritual wisdom and healing modalities that others do not.

My introduction to this whole topic came at a time in my life when I was beginning to awaken to my own spirituality. I had made major strides in my spiritual awareness, then hit a big wall. Though I had successfully repressed my homosexuality for over twenty years, it now became clear that I could not progress any further spiritually without first acknowledging my sexuality. From the day I became real with myself about my sexual attractions, my spiritual growth took off at a full sprint and hasn't stopped since!

While I thought it quite odd that my spirituality would somehow need my sexuality in order to move forward, I just kind of went with the flow. Being a spiritual 'workshop junky' I had the opportunity to meet many people on various stages of spiritual enlightenment. What struck me as odd was the high percentage of gay, lesbian and bisexual men and women at these spiritual courses. Some courses we comprised more than 50% of the entire group!

Over time I noticed that a majority of the spiritual instructors and more enlightened folks I met were also some degree of homosexual. It wasn't until I took a sexuality course that is targeted primarily towards gay/bisexual men that it really hit me. Here I was in a room with 30 other men, taking a course on male erotisicm (mostly masturbation & erotic massage)... and it was an incredibly spiritual environment. It was the deepest, most connecting, most spiritually intimate experience I had ever had.... being in a room of gay guys interacting sexually/intimately.

I could no longer ignore the connection between homosexuality and spirituality. Something was going on here!

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Reply #2 - 21.01.2005 at 02:47:02

Two spirit people are different. They hold a different energy then other people do. It's something that is hardwired into their soul and radiates from their beingness.

I realized over time that I could actually feel the presence of another two-spirit person. While the term "gay" did not always describe the person accurately, there was something about their energy that was distinctly different. The energy of a two-spirit male felt "soft" to me, they didn't have the "hard edge" that other males did. Two-spirit females felt "strong" to me, they had a degree of inner strength about them that most other women did not. It's not about their mannerism, speech or how they looked, it's in the energy that radiates from their soul. I can actually FEEL their two spirits!

Two-spirit people have a balance of male and female energies imbedded in their soul. They can think and feel as a male does and also think and feel as a female does. Their primary mission is to hold the energy of both polarities as one. To merge both the male and female energies into one whole and complete energy that is not lacking or missing anything.

The challenge in this mission is to keep the two energies in balance in the same body. To find the specific balance of male and female energies that works for their particular soul and body. To come to an acceptance of both the male and female qualities in such a way as to bring about harmony and peace within the individual.

Two-spirit people are also an energetic stabilizing force on the planet. At this time the planet is learning how to move from the extremes of duality to the energy of wholeness and balance. Integrating the polarities (good/bad, male/female, light/dark, etc) to a balance where it is not one or the other, but rather both in harmony. Two-spirit people serve as a model and energetic blueprint of balanced and integrated energy. Two-spirit people were given the task to keep their unique combination of male and female energies in balance within their own bodies.

Because two-spirit people were designed to be balanced, it's a natural state rather than something that has to be strenuously sought after and learned. They need to struggle less to find balance in their system, for they were "wired" to achieve balance. For most two-spirit people, simply not resisting the flow of life will automatically bring your system into balance and harmony. Your soul is programmed for balance. While this balance usually does not look like anyone elses "balance," by simply not fighting your internal desires, you will automatically locate the balance that is right for you. Your natural desires will ALWAYS guide you back to balance.

Because two-spirit people can achieve balance more naturally, they also become more open to the spiritual gifts associated with balance. Balance allows two-spirit people to understand, sense, and decode things with a degree of clarity that others cannot easily attain.

The nature of the universe is balance and harmony. So when one is in harmony and in balance they become "attuned" to the fundamental principles that make up the universe. So like a tuning fork, when a person is in balance, they resonate with the balance in the universe which gives them access to spiritual knowledge and understandings that are normally beyond the range of people who are not in balance.

It's for this reason that two-spirit people have a sensitivity towards things that most other people don't have. They are sensitive to subtle energies and attuned to aspects of life that go right by many others. They are more in tuned with natural truths and laws in the universe. So, what is "True" and "Right" is more intuitively obvious. They can see through ineffective cultural beliefs, indoctrination, programming, and religious dogma. They can feel the Truth behind all situations.

They can see through conflicts and feel what is the most harmonious solution and how to create win-win situations. They can feel hidden hurts and buried pain in others along with an intuitive understand on how healing can occur. They have a sensitivity to energies and emotions that allow them to know how others are feeling. Even very subtle shifts in energy are obvious (and sometimes unbalancing) to two-spirit individuals.

Staying Balanced...

Staying balanced is the whole trick behind leading a fulfilling life. When two-spirit individuals are balanced everything seems to flow and is harmonious. When things are not balanced, life can be unpleasant. Here are some tips to keeping yourself balanced:

1. Trust your intuition
You get "knowings" that don't seem to align with what the rest of the world believes. You seem to get messages that contradict the way "everyone else" does things. Learning to trust these spiritual knowings will bring an amazing sense of peace into your life. These knowings are messages to guide *your* progress and may or may not be relevant to others. Listen to your intuition, they are your source of Truth. Also realize that the same information may/may not be true for others. It's for your private use, other people get their own intuition.

2. Your desires always lead you to balance.
Those desires you have are your road map that lead you to balance and harmony. Whether the desire is to explore anal sex or eat ice cream (or even mix the two together? Smiley Following your desires will most rapidly bring your body/soul into balance. When you want to sleep during the middle of the day, or not do something you think you should... that is your desire telling you how to remain in balance. Listening to and following your desires will bring you not only balance, but rapid spiritual progress. Learn to listen and follow your desires... it is the language of your soul.

3. You are sensitive to energy... don't take it personally.
Your sensitivity to energy is far beyond your ability to even comprehend it right now. You often will sense energies and assume they are your thoughts or feelings. They are *usually NOT yours*. They are energies that belong to others that you can detect and feel. Realizing that you do not need to "take these on" as your own will save you much grief. *When you feel disharmonious feelings, emotions and thoughts... they are generally energies left behind from other people.* Notice them, and let them pass. They do not belong to you.

Most times when you feel unbalanced, it is something you took on from another person, it is not yours. If you mentally decide to take it on by claiming it as yours, you then "own it" and will experience it as your own. To release it simply realize it is not yours and mentally let it go. Your natural state is balance and harmony.

Wanting to isolate from others is a natural way to escape the bombardment of other people's energies. Trust your desires to isolate, they are beneficial to your health and balance.

Learn about the laws of energy. Learn how you can release/move/change (transmute) energy.
Learn about energetic modalities of healing that you feel drawn to. Realize all earthbound information comes with a bias. Keep what feels intuitively accurate, discard the rest.

4. You are different.
If you have learned nothing else so far in life, you probably have realized you are different. Smiley In spiritually aware tribes you would have been brought up differently from other children and would be trained by a two-spirit elder. So you would realize your uniqueness. In this culture, you probably were trained to be like everyone else. But you are not.

If you find yourself seeking guidance by looking at what "other people do," you will likely be misguided. Following what other people do is rarely useful for anyone, doubly so for a two-spirit person. Expect your life to look FAR different from other people in this world in every aspect you can possibly imagine... then you wont be disappointed. Putting yourself down by comparing yourself to another person is the most destructive thing you could do to yourself. You are special. Smiley

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Reply #3 - 14.03.2005 at 10:36:14

a so pol BIseksualci slučajno 4 spirit people?

a je duša res tok etična in moralistična, da se ne bi zaljubila v another me?

In Lakech! Mitaki! Haugh!

Love and let  love!

good luck to all! I love you!

IP Logged

Loops of Infinity
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 15.03.2005 at 09:19:34

Quote:
a so pol BIseksualci slučajno 4 spirit people?

Po kakšni logiki si prišla do tega? Grin
(Še vedno so 2spirit:)ane)

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Reply #5 - 21.03.2005 at 11:09:13

Quote:
Po kakšni logiki si prišla do tega? Grin
(Še vedno so 2spirit:)ane)