Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 39
(Read 109588 times)
Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 4  
Reply #30 - 04.11.2003 at 12:24:37

"The honor of the people lies in the moccasin tracks of the woman. Walk the good road.... Be dutiful, respectful, gentle and modest my daughter... Be strong with the warm, strong heart of the earth. No people goes down until their women are weak and dishonored, or dead upon the ground. Be strong and sing the strength of the Great Powers within you, all around you."

--Village Wise Man, SIOUX  

The Elders say the Native American women will lead the healing among the tribes. We need to especially pray for our women, and ask the Creator to bless them and give them strength. Inside them are the powers of love and strength given by the Moon and the Earth. When everyone else gives up, it is the women who sings the songs of strength. She is the backbone of the people. So, to our women we say, sing your songs of strength; pray for your special powers; keep our people strong; be respectful, gentle and modest.  

Oh, Great One, bless our women. Make them strong today.

you cant look in the mirror and expect it to smile first

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 5
Reply #31 - 05.11.2003 at 13:16:41

"You could study the ancestors, but without a deep feeling of communication with them it would be surface learning and surface talking. Once you have gone into yourself and have learnt very deeply, appreciate it, and relate to it very well, everything will come very easily."

--Ellen White, NANAIMO  

Inside of every human being are our ancestors, and these ancestors still live. Today, the white man calls this DNA, but there is more than DNA. We have the ability to go inside of ourselves and learn from the ancestors. The ancestor teachings reside in the place of the center. The ancestors are waiting for us to come there so they can share the ancient teachings. It is said, "Be still and Know".  

Great Spirit, let me walk in the stillness.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 6  
Reply #32 - 06.11.2003 at 16:39:23

"It is well to be good to women in the strength of our manhood because we must sit under their hands at both ends of our lives."

--He Dog, OGLALA LAKOTA  

The women bring us into this life and nurture us as we grow up. When we reach our manhood, she supports us and sings the songs to help the family grow. The Elders say we must look at the woman in a sacred way. We must realize how special her powers are in brining forth life. The woman will bring balance to a man. The woman will help him see. It is said, behind every successful man is a supporting woman. Maybe we should examine how we are thinking about women. The Great Spirit says we should honor them. Are we respecting and honoring our women today?  

Grandmother, Grandfather thank you for our women. Today, let me honor them.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 7
Reply #33 - 07.11.2003 at 16:38:56

"Abuse and repression have no place in a traditional family."

--Haida Gwaii, Traditional Circle of Elders  

Traditional families guided by their culture were taught how to live. The were taught about relationships, respect and spirituality. Only since alcohol was introduced to Indians have we seen physical abuse, sexual abuse and verbal abuse. These behaviors have no room in traditional families. The cycle of abuse must be broken during this generation. We do this by asking for help to quit drinking and abusing and return to our traditional culture and spirituality.  

Creator, plant inside of me the knowledge of the traditional family.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 8  
Reply #34 - 08.11.2003 at 17:50:48

"See how the boy is with his sister and the other ones of his home lodge and you can know how the man will be with your daughter."

--LAKOTA Proverb  

Very early in our lives we form beliefs, attitudes, expectations and habits. We will live by these habits when we are older. The Elders say to watch the boy with his sister. If he is respectful and treats her good, then odds are that;s the way he will treat all women when he is older. Also, watch the young girl and how she treats her brother, for that will indicate what kind of woman she will be to her man. We need to teach our children to respect one another while they are young. The best way to teach them is to show respect ourselves.  

Great Spirit, let me ba a role model for the children.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 9  
Reply #35 - 09.11.2003 at 23:31:37

"Language is a vehicle for carrying spirit, life, family. Language, religion, and land base are three things that characterize culture."

--Edmund Ladd, ZUNI PUEBLO

The Elders say we nee to know the answers to three questions in order for us to be connected the Earth, the Sky, the East, the West, the South, the North. The three questions are: 1. Why are we? 2. Who are we? 3. Where are we going? If we know the language, if we have our spirituality and if we can pray on sacred spots, then we are able to seek the answer to the questions. We must protect the language, religion and land so our future generations can stay connected.  

Great Spirit, help us maintain our language, spirit, family, religion and our Mother Earth.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 10  
Reply #36 - 10.11.2003 at 12:54:49

"The battle for Indian children will be won in the classroom, not on the streets or on horses. The students of today are our warriors of tomorrow."
--Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE  

The world is constantly changing. One of the strengths of Indian people has been our adaptability. In today's world, education is what we need to survive. We need doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists. We can become these things and still live in a cultural way. We need to live in two worlds; the educated world and the Indian cultural world. Education will help protect our land, our people's health, and provide knowledge for our people. We must teach reading, writing and arithmetic. Also, we must teach the language, the culture, the ceremony and the tradition of our people.  

Creator, let me remember You are my teacher.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 11  
Reply #37 - 11.11.2003 at 17:00:59

"If you don't know the language, you'll only see the surface of the culture...the language is the heart of the culture and you cannot separate it."  

--Elaine Ramos, TLINGIT  

The Creator gave to every person their own special way to communicate and understand. Indians understand connectedness, balance, harmony, spirituality and the relationship to Mother Earth. The understanding of these things is expressed in the language. The true understanding of culture is expressed in the language. The language is the heart of the people. If we have not learned the language, we need to find a teacher.  

Great Spirit, help me to learn the culture. Let me pray and sing to You in my language.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 12  
Reply #38 - 12.11.2003 at 20:26:27

"I don't think that anybody anywhere can talk about the future of their people or of an organization without talking about education. Whoever controls the education of our children controls our future, the future of the Cherokee people and of the Cherokee Nation."  
--Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE  

The world has changed in the last 50 years. It will change even more in the next 50 years, and it will change even faster. We must educate ourselves to ensure our future generations will maintain the language and the culture of our people. We need to be concerned about our land because when our land goes away, so will our people. We need to be concerned about leadership, our families and about alcoholism. We need to be concerned about what's going on around the world. We can only do this by being educated. Then we can control our future.  

Great Spirit, please guide our children; let me know how I can help.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 13  
Reply #39 - 13.11.2003 at 17:56:09

"My Grandfather survived on this earth without using anything that did not got back into the earth. The whole world could learn from that."

--Floyd Westerman, SIOUX  

Our grandfathers knew how to live in harmony. They did not create poisons or technologies that destroyed things. They did not make their decisions based on greed or for selfish reasons. They did not take more then they used. Their thoughts and actions were about respect. The Elders conducted themselves in a respectful way. We need to consider our actions around respect for Mother Earth.  

My Creator, have the grandfathers teach us today about the old ways.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day November 14
Reply #40 - 14.11.2003 at 10:08:47

"The hearts of little children are pure, and therefore, the Great Spirit may show to them many things which older people miss."

--Black Elk (Hehaka Sapa) OGLALA LAKOTA

Sometimes adults think they know more than the children. But the children are closer to the truth. Have you ever noticed how quickly they can let go of resentments? Have you ever noticed how free they are of prejudice? Have you ever noticed how well the children listen to their bodies? Maybe adults need to be more like children. They are so innocent. The children pray to the Creator and trust that He will take care of them.

Grandfather, today let the children be my teacher.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day November 15
Reply #41 - 15.11.2003 at 11:01:16

"Our Spiritual belief is that we were created as part of the land - so our identity, our names, and our songs are all tied to the land."

--Chief Roderick Robinson, NISGA'A

In the traditional way, the names of native people had great meaning. We even had naming ceremonies. The naming of someone was very important and had great significance because it was tied to the Earth. The identity of each member and the teachings of the songs were all tied to Mother Earth. We need to know these teachings from our culture. This knowledge will help us heal the people.

My Maker, today help me find my identity.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 16  
Reply #42 - 16.11.2003 at 15:38:17

"We do not want riches, but we want to train our children right. Riches would do us no good. We could not take them with us to the other world. We do not want riches, we want peace and love."

--Red Cloud, OGLALA LAKOTA  

The Elders say that what is important is peace and love. To have material things is okay, but if not, that's okay too. To have peace and love is more important than anything material. Our children will see the value of peace and love only if adults show they are a priority. Too often we think we can offer material things and they will replace the time spent with our children. But the most important way to give our children peace and love is to spend time with them.  

My Creator, give me Your peace and love today.

« Last Edit: 17.11.2003 at 15:21:35 by Petra. »  

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 17  
Reply #43 - 17.11.2003 at 15:19:17

"Humbleness means peace, honesty -- all mean Hopi. True, honest, perfect words -- that's what we call Hopi words. In all languages, not just in Hopi. We strive to be Hopi. We call ourselves Hopi because maybe one or two of us will become Hopi. Each person must look into their heart and make changes so that you may become Hopi when you reach your destination."

--Percy Lomaquahu, HOPI  

The Creator has made available to us all the laws, principles and values which we need to know to live in harmony. The Creator also designed each human being to learn and grow by trail and error. We have tools to help us live the right way. We have prayers, visions, nature, teachers, Elders, and we have the Great Spirit to talk to and ask for help when we have problems. We also have choice. To walk the Red Road takes courage and a lot of prayer.  

Creator, give me courage to walk the Red Road.

IP Logged

Petra.
Global Moderator
p

All IS Full Of Love

Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 18
Reply #44 - 18.11.2003 at 15:07:28

"Power is not manifested in the human being. True power is in the Creator."  

--Oren Lyons, ONONDAGA  

The Old Ones say the only true power is spiritual power. Sometimes our egos tell us we have power but really we don't. Great Spirit power is called by other names such as love, forgiveness, intelligence, life, principles and laws. When the Creator uses this power to make the human being powerful, we4 must stay humble. We should constantly acknowledge that we are who we are. We do what we do because of the power of the Great One.

Great One, guide me to use Your power well. I will use it only to serve the people.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 39